From:
Ferret Guardian Rescue Haven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:40:12 -0500
I had 2 "whole" hobs, Sparkey and Harvey, that lived to be over 13 years
of age with no health problems till over 10-11 years old.  It was old age
and none of the diseases that now afflict our babies.  Also, at the time
I had them, ferret foods weren't available.  Neither was specialized,
premium cat foods.  They ate Purina Kitten chow their entire lives along
with cooked chicken and toast for treats, along with the few mice they
caught in our apartment.  They never had a cage, never went to the vets
before 10 years old.  They never had vaccines and were well over 6lbs all
their lives, including up till death.  I got Sparkey when he was 6 months
old from a backyard breeder in Mooresville, NC in 1970 and then got
Harvey, his 2+ year old dad 6 months later in 1971.

Harvey died peacefully in his sleep while I was holding him in January
1983.  Sparkey died the same way in Nov. 1984.  Both of natural causes.
The only medicine they took was Vaseline for hairballs and baby aspirin
after 10 years old for arthritis.

I now have a whole hob which I refuse to alter to prove my point on early
spay and neuter.  He was a rescue and is now about 15-16 months of age.
He is eating Totally Ferret and Zupream.  He is impressively healthy and
very stout.  We call him "Yeti" because of his size and the fact he is an
albino.  He makes our big guys look small at a whopping 6.2 lbs and solid
as a rock.

Just my 2".

Diane Campbell
FGRH