From:
"H. Richard Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1993 16:45:24 -0400
Marianna Max wrote:
> Hi all, does anyone know how ferrets can be tested for lymphoma?
> Is there a blood test or does it require a tissue biopsy?

My understanding is that a tissue biopsy of a lymph node (or a fine
needle aspirate) is generally needed. In rare cases, cancerous
lymphocytes might be detectable in the circulating blood but not
finding these is more typical.  Your vet might want to take a blood
test in addition to the biopsy because high levels of calcium in
the serum are common with lymphoma and can cause secondary problems.
Other problems can also cause high blood calcium levels, however, so
this is not a good diagnostic test (by itself) for lymphoma.

Rich Ellis ([log in to unmask])