From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:13:32 -0400
<http://www.allamericanpatriots.com/48735370_minnesota_minnesota_reports_rare_death_human_rabies>

Second topic:
When anaphylactic reactions happen -- whether to ferrets or humans --
Epinephrin is the most important med to have and use to avoid death
or damage. In comparison the other help but nowhere near as much, so
the routine needs to speedily include Epi to be most successful.

In a recent discussion on the FHL Dr. Ruth Heller spoke of hearing of
some ferrets who turned out to be allergic to Benedryl, BTW.

The IMRAB 3 vaccine only very rarely causes reactions, so if the
ferrets are related this could be shared vulnerability. If they are not
related your vet might want to consider changing distributors to see
what happens. I recall a place (I think in IL) many years ago which did
that after a spate of distemper vaccine reactions and the incidence
rate went way down. The distributors had not been storing the vaccine
properly and that accounted for the troubles.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: