From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:32:22 -0400
There are so many medication tricks; I'm sure you will hear from a lot
of folks about this!  You can try crushing it and giving it in some
Ferretone oil; some like that.  You could see about giving Pediapred
instead, or about having it compounded.  We've never had pred compounded,
but a list of compounding pharmacies (many of which ship) can be found
at:
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/ReferenceShelf/comp_pharm.html

Fortunately, even though Smartgroups is again having problems (Sigh...)
the files section is working just fine.

Some medication pointers (I am sure to miss some so I hope that others
jump in here since I know that these things have been discussed here and
in the FHL before, including by pharmacists): some meds should not be
exposed to saliva, many need protection from light or from heat, some
should not be given with water; some should not be given with oils, some
should not be given with things high in minerals like calcium, some can't
be given with foods while others must be given with foods, ones which are
serrated (not really the right word but they have the cutting line in
them) can be cut safely into sections but ones which are not serrated
often do have the medication distributed evenly throughout so in that
case crush them and divide the powder while storing it carefully,
preferably don't give meds with indigestible things like furball meds
though a few things might digest fast enough, when in doubt ask a
pharmacist or even the researchers who developed the drug if it is new
or experimental (It always pays to go with those who have actually
studied the topic extensively rather than those who have one or fewer
classes in it.), etc.

Nope, I'm not a pharmacist just as I am not a vet, so verify, verify,
verify with those who actually have the right degrees rather than with
those of us who happen to post about a topic, even those of us with long
experience and reading.  Don't automatically take my or anyone else's
word on something so important as your ferret's health and medication.  I
don't do that, and I don't know any good reason why anyone else should.
I'm a big one for checking with those who are acknowledged as experts
within their own fields by those who also are well respected within that
field, or if the question is one that is documented then for checking
with those who have advanced degrees in the right topic.  There are
always too many important aspects which are just too easily missed by
those of us who don't have such extensive targeted education, and that
can at times add up to real trouble and danger for ferrets.  So, again,
don't take my word on these things: CHECK them, and find out the
particulars of the medication with an expert.

Hope that helps.

Re: the question on finding vets.  If you go to
http://www.ferretcongress.org
and click on the Critical References section you will find multiple vets
listings (each a bit different from the last) to help you.

James, why are you thinking adrenal neoplasia?  I don't recall you
mentioning anything that is an adrenal symptom.  Am I forgetting a
mention?

Blood tests won't find malignancies in them.  That was a hypothesis
first put out there by Dr. Susan Brown and when testing found that her
hypothesis was wrong she was very up-front about letting everyone know,
but some missed the final info.  It had been a very exciting and
promising looking hypothesis but that happens.  Remember the AFIP site
and article I gave you yesterday to see why not eating enough or not
eating often enough causes hepatocellur swelling and messes up the liver
enzymes?  You will find the info on why some high rates in blood tests
are as likely to indicate systemic infection as a malignancy in that
same place.

Yes, I know that the tests are expensive and there have been many times
that we haven't been able to afford nicities (like even replacing our
ancient carpet or our bathtub).  It's hard, I know, and I am very sorry
about that, but the only way to know often enough is to test or to open.