Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:01:16 -0500
AIDS
There are lots of people, myself included, who would happily adopt a ferret
(cat, dog etc.) whose owner had died from AIDS.  I'd be very surprised if
you had any trouble adopting him out.  You might want to have the new person
sign a release form saying they understand the previous owner died from AIDS.

Re: cats and dogs
I find that ferrets (depending on the ferret) can be *really* annoying to
other animals since they always want to play, nip, etc.  My 85# shep-x was
raised around ferrets.  He is very good with them when he wants to play.
However, I don't let the ferrets near him when he eats or sleeps, or if he
doesn't feel playful.  In a group of 4, the ferrets are just too annoying.
By themselves, it depends on the ferret.  Some are nice to the dog.  I also
used to have a Sheltie who met the ferrets when she was an adult; she was
fine with them.  I also had a ferret who was almost killed by a neighbor's
dog (shep-x) so it really depends on the dog.

For cats, I find that most of my cats don't like the ferrets.  I have 2
formerly feral cats who seem to like the ferrets better than the others do.
Again, in a group of 4, the fuzzies really annoy the cats.  Sometimes I will
let one or 2 socialize with the cats.  It just depends.  Not really a
clearcut answer, but then again, they all relate differently to each other!

     Ronnie
     Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming and Merlin's mom