From:
"Dawn Wolf (MWCI)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 21:23:49 -0500
Hi everyone!  I haven't kept up on reading the FML daily or been posting
much because it's been overwhelming, but have wanted to post a couple of
items/questions recently.  Some of you may remember me- I used to have
the email address [log in to unmask]  I currently own six ferrets (Gherkin,
Wookie, Nougat, S'much, Minnie, and Maxie) and have had my original baby,
Smidgeon, pass away in the last couple of years.

My first question for you multiple-ferret households- How do you do it?  I
work full time and am married and expecting my first baby in July.  I have
gone through the nightmare of treating ECE with my four original boys, have
had Gherkin through 2 surgeries, Nougat and Wookie each through one, and
now Gherkin has had a stomach infection we've been treating for 10 days.
I'm lucky to have a caring employer who doesn't mind my taking extra time
off work for vet visits and allows me to bring my ferret to work while I'm
monitoring his food intake and all.  How does everyone else handle all the
potential illnesses, litter training issues, behavioral issues, etc.  that
we run into in multiple ferret households?  I love my ferrets to death, and
also have a dog.  I'm wondering what it will be like to have a baby and all
of these pets!  Don't get me wrong- I'm not complaining or looking to get
rid of any of them- I'd just like to know how everyone else deals with
everyday life with these issues, also the emotional/mental side of these
issues!  My advice to prospective ferret owners- start out slowly, don't
get too many ferrets at one time without considering what you will do when
they are sick and what your housing issues will be.  Giving one sick ferret
meds can be trying, let alone two, three, four, etc.  Make sure you
consider how much time you can dedicate to their health care when they get
older.  The first few years they may not have any health issues, but they
most likely will later on.  Just keep this in mind!

This leads me to my last point- it is so hard to deal with the sadness of
illlness and death in these guys!  I was afraid Gherkin had cancer and I'd
have to put him to sleep last weekend!  Just the thought of never hearing
his snore in the night and seeing his funny "fish waddle" run down the
hallway was almost too much to bear!  I can't imagine losing more than one
ferret at a time or within a short time span.  It's heartbreaking!

I'd welcome any responses on what a typical day is like for other parents
and multiple-ferret owners.  My babies have had the run of the house and
I'll have to make some difficult changes- such as limiting time or space
while they are out.

Thanks for "listening"!