Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:57:39 -0500
>Has anyone has had ferret in similar condition and were able to force
>feed him and have him get better. In my mind and heart I don't think
>there was anything more I could have done

It really depends on what is causing the illness in the ferret. We have
had to syringe feed ferrets with the flu who couldn't breath thru their
noses and thus refused to eat, and we've had to syringe feed a ferret
who came to us nearly starved to death. That same ferret made a
miraculous and full recovery, but he is also now being syringe fed
again due to a severe stomach infection that we are working on. But
these are situations where there is realistic hope and expectation of
the ferret getting healthy again and having a quality of life. Two
months ago when our Trinny (adrenal disease, insulinoma, IBD) was
stricken with the flu and was clearly in agony due to her already
compromised condition, we chose to help her to the bridge, knowing
in our hearts that she probably wouldn't survive, and would have no
quality of life if she did.

I believe that if you feel "In your mind and in your heart" that you
have done everything possible, and that you have acted only in the
best interests of the ferret, and that if the cause of the illness and
refusal to eat is something from which the ferret probably will not
recover, then you are showing it love and compassion by putting it to
sleep. Every time we've had to put a ferret to sleep, it's hurt beyond
belief, but it would have hurt more to force them to go on with their
suffering for our benefit and with unrealistic hope of recovery. The
last and greatest act of love that you can show to your ferret is to
help him or her to leave this world with as little suffering as
possible when you believe in your mind and in your heart that there
is no realistic hope of recovery.

Jeff
In Memory of Trinny, Neo, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Morphy, Baby Girl, Luna, Dozer, Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Pip,
Pop, and Possum the Million Dollar Ferret