From:
"Kristina F. Pattison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:31:44 -0400
Hello everyone.  My name is Kristina Pattison.  I've been lurking for a few
days and should probably post an introduction.

I don't have a ferret (yet?) but my husband and I do have dogs.  I show
said dogs in obedience, agility, conformation, and we also do therapy
visits.

In "real" life I'm a banker and a dog trainer.

I am hoping, from this list, to learn enough to avoid being the ferret-ist
equivalent of those annoying people who bring me their problem dogs to
"fix" repeating such classic lines as, "the poor thing was all alone at the
pet store" or "we just wanted the kids to see the miracle of birth" or "we
fed him red pepper to make him mean" or "he's such a good dog, he just
attacks the neighborhood kids when he's mad at me".

Too many years in dogs I guess.  :-)

Anyway, I think a ferret would be a fun addition to our home.  My husband
and I don't (read: won't) have children, so no worry there.  The dogs are
very well behaved and gentle, and the house is already dog proofed.  It
sounds like there are many little ferrets out there who could use a loving
family.  Now, just to find a healthy one.

So, my two first questions are:

1.  Have any of you tried clicker-training a ferret?

2.  Does anyone feed ferrets a natural, raw diet?  I make my own dog food,
for the most part, following a very careful formula, and I have experienced
wonderful increases in vitality and health.  Is there the same movement to
a more natural food source in the world of ferrets that we have among the
dog fancy?

I'm looking forward the education.  Be gentle :-)

Sincerely,
Kristina
Kristina P. and the pack,
U-CDX Kristina's Own Zowie, CDX, TT, HIC*, and 1/3 AD
(cocker boy, futility star, and herding wanna-be,
even if the AKC doesn't want him to be) "Zoo"
Kristina's Own Frannie Frekl, CD
(cocker girl, full-time old bat)  "Frannie"
Delta's Bumpy Ride to K.O., CD
(crazy black standard poodle boy)  "Turbo"
and the baby, Sunset and K.O.'s Final Frontier, HIC
(super-terv, the herding machine)  "Jean-Luc"