From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:25:58 -0700
>From:    "Laura D. Ginter" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Somebody smart please!!!
>First off, I read in one book that ferrets were part of the otter family.
>Another book states that they are part of the weasel family.

Ferrets are members of the weasel genus (mustela).

Otters, weasels and ferrets are members of the weasel-like animal family
(mustelids).  The otters are in a different genus within the mustelid
family.

Ferrets are most closely related to other polecats.  At least one article
wants to lump all polecats as the same species or perhaps super-species.
This is currently mustella (putorius) furo - domestic ferret, mustella
putorius - European polecat, mustella eversmanni - Steppe (siberian or
chinese) polecat, and mustella nigripes - the Black footed ferret.

Then others in the weasel genus which include weasels, polecats and mink.

Next to other mustelids.  Add in otters, badgers, wolverines etc.

Then to other carnivores including dogs and cats.

On to the next level which is other mammals.  That is the "furry ones that
nurse their young".  Not sure off-hand of the current thought on marsupials
and monotremes in this.

Then all animals.

Hmm... After that perhaps all living things.  Are we saying ferrets are more
closely related to ferns than rocks?  OKay thats taking it too far <grin>.

>I have also read that ferrets will attack rabbits.  Is this domesticated
>ferrets too?

By definition all ferrets are domesticated (except for the relatively few
feral or escaped ferrets in Europe and New Zealand.  Domestic ferrets are
used to hunt ferrets in the UK and a few other places.  Not all ferrets
will kill rabbits but take great care.

The wild animal equivalent is the European (or forest or Western) Polecat.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]