From:
Eileen Ledbetter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 16:06:19 -0500
Hello everyone,
Many thanks to all of you who responded to my questions about my ferret's
"chopped off" looking tail and the dangers (or lack of) giving Meow Mix as a
treat.  In particular, thanks to Jim March, Toni Brown, Georgia Wood and
Marsha Stanek.  Just wanted to tell you all that I took Larz to the vet
concerning the tail and was relieved to find that it wasn't the first signs
of a disease.  The vet really couldn't explain it other than it looked like
Larz had gotten it caught somewhere and the tip hair was pulled off (ouch!).
No sign of serious trauma and nothing to worry about it seems.  The vet also
checked out a crusty spot on Larz's back that I was attributing to flea
scratching, but it turns out that it was an overactive sebacious gland area.
The vet took a flea comb and just scraped away at this area while I cringed
thinking the area might be sore.  Lars put up with it and it was immediately
noticable when the vet was done that the crust was gone and his skin felt
normal.  So I will begin bathing him every ten days with attention to any
crusty areas and use the flea comb if I do discover some.  The vet then very
kindly cleaned out Larz's ears and sent me on my way saying, "It's on the
house!" Is this guy nice or what!!!

Also many thanks for the great tips I am discovering on this list.  Lars and
Abby now enjoy blanket rides, which is even more fun than the ferret highway
tube, and much cheaper!  And special thanks to Georgia who told me to put
Ferretone on the kids' bellies while their claws were being trimmed.  It
certainly has made the job easier.

                                Eileen