From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 06:47:31 -0400
To Bill and Claire Sebok concerning their first rescue ferret:

>       We realize that for the sake of our other ferrets we need to take
>infectious disease precautions and quarantine her for a period of time.  For
>what length of time should we quarantine her? What other precautions should we
>take to make sure our other ferrets aren't exposed to any diseases from her?
>We would appreciate any advice.

       Bill - First of all, I wouldn't let her mingle until you have taken her
to the vet and had a good checkup, including a fecal check for coccidia.  Also,
I'm sure that your ferrets are up to date for distemper shots (but it's a good
reminder for anyone else who is in a similar situation).  Concerning epizootic
catarrhal enterisi (the GD) - there really isn't a good quarantine period - we
know ferrets can shed the virus as long as four months and probably even
longer.

Best of luck,

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology