From:
"K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 23:21:13 EST
Recently the local rescue took in a 3 year old female cinammon jill, Lucy.
She appeared to be pregnant when she was brought in on Oct. 23, but as of
tonight, 42 days later, she still hasn't delivered any kits.  (The local vet
told the person keeping Lucy that Lucy would have kits *any day now* two
weeks ago.) Lucy was abused in her old home; she lived with drug addicts and
had been given drugs and alcohol.

My question is: How do you tell the difference between a real pregnancy and
a false one?  I was told that you cannot test for pregnancy in ferrets and
that a physical exam would not prove or disprove pregnancy except 24 hours
prior to birth.  Is this true or am I confused?  In addition, if Lucy is
having a false pregnancy, will she come out of it on her own or will some
measure need to be taken?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Susie, Casper, Trixie, Binky, and IVAN

PS: I never posted the introduction of IVAN (the terrible), the ferret
formerly known as Ivan.  IVAN has managed to unferret-proof everything we
had already ferret-proofed.  Thankfully he is mellowing as he matures and
is turning into quite the little gentleman.