From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:07:29 EDT
I've read that fish is not required in a ferrets diet.  I read that their
closest family member eats more rodents, birds, amphibians, etc than they
would a fish.  I read that mink require fish, and that is where the myth
began that fish needs to be in ferret food.  Now........ am I right or
wrong.  I'd like to know.  Did I fall upon some interent rumor, a good
hypothesis, or did I run into the truth?  Which?

I had someone reply to this with the following statements and I'd like to
know how much merit there is to it.  If there is merit, please tell me,
so I can acknowledge that to them.  If it is not valid and there are
sources to back it up, I need those very much to share with them.  Here
is, their rubuttal:

"" As for the fish, ferrets are a mustelid and in the same family as
otters and mink.  Fish is a natural part of a ferrets diet and is loaded
with healthy benefits like fish oils which contain omega 3 and omega 6
fatty acids (antioxidants that are shown to help fight cancer and
increase longevity).  Ferrets are carnivores and require high levels of
fresh meat protein.  Fish that is properly handled and processed, like
ours, is an excellent source of digestible protein.  In a nutshell, our
food may smell a little fishy, but it has many more health benefits than
our competitors.  ""

Bob, it would be a huge help.... if you could tell me if I'm on the
wrong track or not... I can tell you why in a private email why this is
important.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/