From:
"J Gordon Bengtson, CI-ASMEL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:34:30 -0400
Peekaboo is blind, not totally but so much so for all intent and
purposes she is blind. She can see shadows and large forms with
enough light but little else. She gets around so well it took me
a couple weeks to figure out she could not see! Was only where she
was constantly bumping into everything.

Blind ferrets have an innate ability to learn their environment by
rote and they do well. Their sniffer plays a big part in it and is how
Peekaboo got her name. She will periscope up sniffing the air as well
as looking about at the shadows to learn what is going on around her.
She will run around in circles over and over but that is just her
checking things out as best she can. She is learning the scope of her
boundaries that way.

Is funny but sad to see her bonk head on into chair legs, walls,
anything in her path. Her little noggin makes that noise when she hits
hard but that doesn't seem to bother her at all. She is intensely
sensitive to her fur where anything that touches it is like you touched
her actual skin. She uses every resource she has and does it well. She
loves to ride in my arms and be carried around anywhere I care to take
her. Pester will squirm like a spider on a hot fry pan but Peekaboo
will sit quietly and calmly in my arms for the duration.

Great little guys. Ferrets are not a pet for everyone but for sure they
are perfect for me!

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester

Rev. J Gordon Bengtson
Aarrow-Ranch Aviation