From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:56:09 -0600
Dan
I admire your desire to do something to help fuzzies & their owners.
Ferret-sitting is something that could really be helpful.  As long as you
understand the inherent dangers.

Vaccinations will prevent distemper.  ECE is the only other problem I would
worry about.  ECE is a virus... it mutates.  Although ferrets supposedly
can only get it once, it does re-occur each time a new ferret who's had a
different strain of it comes in contact.  ECE is seldom fatal if the ferret
receives the proper care and support (but there are some really nasty
strains that do kill those with other medical problems or poor health).

I'm the "Mom" to 28 fuzzies, 9 of my own, the rest, foster kids.  Until
last week, I was the only ferret shelter within a 150 mile radius.  Now
there are none.  My doors are closed to any incoming ferrets... regardless
of their need.  Last week I was notified that some of the ferrets in my
care MAY have been exposed to Aleutians Disease (ADV).  Until a series of
tests, over a period of two years returning negative results each time,
can be done, my doors must remain closed.  Ferrets can carry this disease,
giving it to other ferrets, and never contract the clinical symptoms...
which look a lot like symptoms of other illnesses.

Aleutians is only the worst and most insidious danger.  You won't know if
you baby-sit an ADV positive ferret until it's much too late and your own
ferrets and all those who've come in contact with them begin to die

completely quarantined from my own.  I would bathe and change clothing
between handling the different groups.  I would proceed as though one of
the groups did, in fact, have ADV... because they might.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home, Carthage, TX