From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 10:51:00 EDT
Barb Thomas, if Seymour liked a grown cat, I would think that a kitten would
be great company for him.  I also sympathize with you about the 3rd degree
you got from the breeder/shelter.  They are well intended, but they too
often look for reasons to exclude rather than include.   For all their bad
aspects, at least pet shops are equal opportunity types.   My greatest fear
is that we would all be at the mercy of a single person who would decide if
we are capable of owning a ferret (with no appeal process).   Fortunately,
in our legal system the burden of proof is on those who think we are bad.

Dr. Karen Purcell, welcome to the List!!  From your statement about the Bill
passing, I take it you live in MA.  Was that you who gave the great wrap up
statement at the Bill hearing in March?   Our vet is opening a new office in
Wayland soon and has some interesting plans to have a ferret track in the
waiting room (instead of an aquarium, for example) to display their antics
to amuse clients.   She hopes to get some once they are legal and will bring
them to the office to keep them near while she works.   We need all the
ferret oriented vets we can get in the Commonwealth!  PS- use the gas!

Dennis's comments (the pilot) about the (lack of) FAA threat to ferrets are
absolutely correct.  I'm very familiar with FAA security and the inspectors
are only interested in Federal regs.  Even then, the emphasis is more on
safety.  They are also understaffed and unlikely to bother private planes
without good cause.  If you fly VFR, you are all but out of the ATC system
anyway.   As long as you don't fly a drug runner profile, you won't raise a
hackle.  Then, you'd be checked by a different agency that is equally single
minded.  The skies are still free.

To David, the hand attack and retreat pattern you mentioned is not because
of fear, it is a type of play.  The response they would like is for your
hand to chase and attack them back.   This type of "tag" fighting where the
role of who is the chaser switches is very common.   They also like to chase
things that you drag or toss.   A resulting tug-of-war is another good
bonding activity.  Sounds like Helen and Ceridwen have bonded to you pretty
well already.  They want you to come out of your shell now.   They aren't
that delicate, no matter how sweet a front they show.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \