From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 15:39:35 -0400
So, I took a chance and put my money where my mouth is.  I PAID a lab to
take ferret feces (collected at the moment of dropping and transferred to
a sterile nutrient broth (don't ask), then inoculate a series of blood
agar plates, 12 with colloidal silver treatments of various dilutions
(ranging from straight out of a new bottle, to a few drops in what would
be a typical duck soup), 12 with NO treatment, and 12 with various
commonly used antibiotics.  These plates were done with the same care and
treatment as for human microbiology, and were evaluated at the same level.

The results speak for themselves.  Of the 12 agar plates treated with
various antibiotics, growth was either inhibited or prevented.  Of the 12
plates that received NO treatment, growth was fairly rapid, and after 3
days covered more than 75% of the plate.  Of the 12 plates treated with
colloidal silver, the results were EXACTLY the same as those treated with
nothing.  In other words, the application of colloidal silver MADE NO
DIFFERENCE TO THE GROWTH OF INTESTINAL FLORA on the agar plates.  In both
the untreated and silver treated plates, growth varied, but ranged from
moderate to heavy, and differences were statistically insignificant
between the two groups in terms of bacterial growth (colonization),
spread, number of species present, presence of fungus, and size of
colonies.

This wasn't a rigidly controlled experiment, although the controls through
the lab met CAP standards, and are standard in treating infected humans.
The tests should be verified independently by others, using feces from
other ferrets eating a variety of diets, and other batches of colloidal
silver (I only used CS from the largest two web-based retailers).  But the
results do suggest that the effectiveness of colloidal silver is much less
than suggested by its proponents.

Look for yourself.  The accompanying photo shows four blood agar plates
inoculated with bacteria from the ferret feces colony.  They were
randomly, blindly selected for the photo.  Here is your test: three
plates are either CS plates or untreated, and the remaining plate is
the opposite.  Which plates--or plates--were untreated, and which were
covered with CS prior to inoculation?  If ANYONE can tell me, I'll shut up
on this subject forever (not just guessing, but saying WHY they think so).

So the gauntlet is thrown.  It is now time for colloidal silver proponents
to fish or cut bait.  If they disagree with this little (and costly)
experiment of mine, then duplicate it and prove it faulty.  I will gladly
send a copy of my research design to ANY person with a legitimate interest
(i.e., not just curious.  but someone attempting to verify the results).

I have nothing against alternative methods of treatment as long as they
are used carefully, with the participation of a licensed vet, and with
substances that have proven effectiveness (and with quality control).
Unless that can be shown, I consider the case for colloidal silver to be
closed.

Bob C
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/message/12817?expand