Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:42:28 -0600
For Diane and others with smaller carriers on longer trips,
I've read several ingenious solutions on the FML over the years - velcro a
tupperware sandwich box down and things like that.  As long as your little
one will leave the box there, it works well, coz you can put the lid on it,
pop it out to clean without spilling litter all over, and pop it back.

I've taken the lazy route though - making an "upper floor" out of a cut &
folded towel (so they can be on top of - or underneath - the covers)
clipped onto the openings on the upper part of the carrier ( I tied some
ribbon around each corner opening and use diaper pins to attach towel to
ribbon, leaving one upper front corner free - cheap and easy to do if you
have smaller hands).  I attach food and water to the door wires (I've
switched to the screw-on bowls that I also use in the cage - no tippies!!)
and then just line the bottom with newspaper.  It doesn't stay "fresh" as
long as litter might, but I also don't have to lug litter around with me,
and I know they can't "miss" the box.

As for the heat, maybe add a layer of toweling and slide the ice pack
inbetween, so the little one can pick how close to it to be...maybe secure
it to the back of the towels so if he doesn't want it s/he can lay up
front.  In general ferrets travel really well - my Sami used to road trip
for months with me and no complaints - provided we stopped for wet downs on
the hot parts.  My rule of thumb for heat is if something cool - a drink,
a swim, dunking your head under a faucet - it's way past time to cool down
the kids.  I kept Sam pretty wet - that means mostly wet, not attractive
when wet - most summer days.

And the usual word to the wise - reinforce the "come to the sqeaky"
training - even if it means giving out so much olive oil/ferretone you
start to question who's getting trained.  In a bad situation it can be
*the* lifesaver, coz none of us ever *plan* on letting them escape.

Happy trails!!
tara