From:
chris last <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:34:14 -0800
>Don't they have chips that can be implanted in animals?  I seem to
>remember the vet saying something about it when our dog wandered off.
>(we got her back).  I have been thinking about researching a "Lojack"
>type device for the fuzzies.  Anyone else ever heard of this?

Hi.  Yes you can get a microchip implanted under the ferrets skin.It is
used with dogs and cats and i don't see why not ferrets.It is painless.
The prodedure is done by a vet.  The microchip has your ferrets info on
it.  If the ferret is lost , then found by someone, the microchip can be
scanned by a vet or shelter, the ferret identifyed, and you are notifyed
that fuzzy is found.The ID information is kept in a central data base.

It is not really a ferret lojack.

This all depends on someone finding the ferret and thinking to scan for a
microchip.  Many shelters,vets, indivuiduals, routinly check for a chip
on a lost cat or dog these days.  I think it is an excellent idea for
ferrets who frequently cannot keep an ID collar on and who so often
escape.How many heartaches would be avoided if you could scan a fuzzy and
then return him home.

As someone who does rescue myself i often wonder when a fuzzy comes to
me seemingly well cared for and found wandering along..  if someone
somewhere is missing him.People do not always think to look in the
newspaper lost and found for a ferret.

Christine