From:
Laura P McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 10:31:32 -0500
Hello again to everybody in WeaselLand!

We don't have a complicated ferret song, but we do like to sing, to the tune of
"I'm a Girl-Watcher":

"I'm a toe-biter,
I'm a toe-biter,
Watching toes go by,
My, my, my.

"I'm a toe-biter,
I'm a toe-biter,
Here comes one now...
'Ow! Ow! Ow!'"

Does anyone else have trouble with their ferrets getting dry, scaly feet during
the winter?  'Possum persists in having bouts of dry feet.  they don't seem to
bother him, but they sure look uncomfortable.  Our guys are all on premium cat
food (Nutriphase), which contains lots of taurine, protein, and fat, with
occasional treats of Linatone and whatever they can steal from our plates after
they knock them off the table and before we can clean up the mess, so I don't
think that it's a dietary deficiency.

And now, for the painful but true substance of my message:
We have decided that Felix would probably be happier in someone else's home.
She is a truly sweet, one year-old sable that we got from someone who didn't
have time for her in October.  However, as I wrote a couple of months ago, she
simply does not get along with our queen ferret, Allie.  This is entirely
Allie's fault (she's an aggressive little wench!), but it means that we have to
run the ferrets in two groups.
Well, we had established a kind of equilibrium with the two groups so that they
all got out enough (Felix & crew in the evening and overnight, Allie & her
servants in the morning and day), but then the mink went into heat.  Now we
have to let *her* out separately, too, and she needs the most exercise, so that
squeezes the rest of the guys' time.

So, if you know of anyone who is looking for a new shark, please send them my
way.  Felix gets along great with males and non-bullying females--it's just
that she runs away when confronted, and that encourages Allie to attack.
I'm in no real rush to part with her, so please keep her in mind if you hear
people asking about where to find affordable ferrets.

Thanks all!

Laura McDonald