Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 10:13:33 -0400
HI Sukie & readers!

Sukie wrote:
>cats live LONGER (by 2 or 3 years -- don't have it handy) if they are
>spayed.  No one has done such a look at ferrets.  There are some who
>figure that early neutering may play a role in adrenal tumors.  (I
>personally think it may be part of the picture for at least some
>individuals, though late neuters and whole ferrets turn out to sometimes
>get them, too.)  Adrenal tumors usually aren't life threatening, though --
>although they can be in a poor surgical candidate or with some which are
>malignant (Been there.), and certainly most ferrets don't get them.  Yet,
>there seems to be a subset here which assumes either that neutered or
>early neutered ferrets have shorter lifespans even without the numbers to
>know if that's so.  It may be so, or it may be that they actually live
>longer, or it may be that there is no difference in the long run in
>survivability among the groups,

Hi Sukie-- yes indeed the reports states this BUT I want to take a minute
to pointy out some very big differences.  Kittens are NEVER spayed or
netered before age 8 - 10 weeks.  We <bold>know </bold>ferrets are neutered
prior to that because they are already in pets stores after being funnelled
through ditributors at age 6 weeks.  So, a very fair guess-timate would be
ferret neuter at 4.5 to 5 weeks which allows time for healing recovery and
transport to be put "ON DISPLAY" for sale.  The kitten is far more
developed at age 8 weeks to 12 weeks ( when the majority of kittens are
spayed/ neutered) than the ferret is a 4.5 to 5 weeks.  This of couurse
does not even take into account the number of cats involved in the study
who were neutered at a later age (sexual maturity) at the reccommendation
of vets.  Something to REALLY keep in mind.

I anticipate a study would show the major differences and I point out this
is "MY OPINION" that the immune system and the endocrine system would be
more developed as well.  This could have a significant impact and great
bearing on the overall health of the animaland result in the longevity of
life as well as the quality of life.

My thoughts on the evolving issue of ferret lifespans!

Alicia