From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:05:04 -0600
Free Roam Tips -
My group is free roam.  I also have enough adequate size cages set up
around the house, complete with hammocks/food/water/litterboxes, so if I
ever have to move everyone out quickly I can toss them into the nearest
cage and be ready to move everyone out in a short time.  Most of the time
the cages sit empty but occassionally someone will sleep in the hammock
or snack from the food bowls and sip from water bottles or use the litter
boxes.  Some cages are used more than others but the bottom line is that
in case of an emergency, I can gently toss ferrets in ready cages and
move em out.

Also helpful is setting up our home so that I can easily get to all the
fuzzies favorite sleeping places for fast removal if needed.  This means
a bit more work for me but I consider it a necessary safety factor for
the little ones.

Shelters/Sanctuaries/Care Homes/Individuals -
Each of us may have different ideas of how things should be done.
We have different limitations and life situations that allow for either
more or less for the ferrets in their care.  Some are more devoted and
willing to give up more for those same ferret.  In some families, several
members may contribute to ferret care while in others only one person
does.  What works for one person may not work for another, but just
because one can't do something doesn't mean others can't.

The words collector and hoarder are often tossed around in the animal
community with incorrect meanings.  Hoarders/collectors are NOT defined
by the number of animals, they are defined by the care of and environment
of the animals.

It is possible for an entity to properly and lovingly care for 50+
ferrets, BUT it takes an incredible amount of energy, perserverance,
creative financing (did you know that an fast food value meal costs more
than a bag of Maximum Nutrition from Walmart or a carton of cigarettes
costs more than a bag of premium ferret food?), willingness to sacrifice
certain things and to do others, emotional and physical strength and a
very strong devotion.

My view of responsible loving ferret care (which is different than others)
- A clean environment (cage, bedding, rooms, litter boxes, food/water)
- A variety of good nutrition, as good as the ferret will eat
- Health care, preventive and as needed
- Daily out of cage time - my minimum view is 4 hours and the longer the
  better, divided into at least two times daily with each event not being
  less than 1 1/2 hours (free roam is excellent but for some life styles
  it isn't safe for the ferret so it isn't for everyone)
- Daily human/ferret positive loving and play interaction - decided by
  ferret preference
- Continuously educating ourselves on ferret care and medical issues
- A willingness to do more than adequate, to give up personal luxuries
  for the ferrets, to do what is needed to be done for the ferrets

Warm hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart, F.B.S.
Ferret Family Services
http://www.ferretfamilyservices.org