From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 1994 18:20:14 +0100
When I purchased my latest two this spring, the breeder cautioned
me that their both parents of one of their great-grandmothers had
been used for hunting.

A week later, I brought my older ones out, who under two years
never had shown any hunting tendencies, and then they for the
first time saw a hare (lepus europeus) at close range. Result was
they almost slipped out of their harnesses trying to get at it.
The stupid hare wasn't frightened but bounced up the street and
then returned even closer to us. This probably taught them what
they were meant for, as they all except Carmen has started to
chase cats.

But she's a hunter as well, which showed the other day when we
stepped out to find a cat watching the door intensely. Reason was
a mouse it was playing with, which when Carmen heard it she
wanted to go after very much. I considered letting her do it, as
a quick kill wouldv'e been better for the mouse, but there was
risk of a fight with the cat. Besides, I'm not sure she would
have known what to do with the mouse.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]