From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 21:51:50 -0500
Dear Lizzi:

>HAS ANYBODY TRIED THE OXYGLOBIN for donor blood that was mentioned at the
>2000 Symposium?  If we don't find a donor, would this be okey to use if we
>had to?

Good for you and my fingers are crossed for Fang.  I haven't heard any
more about this after it was mentioned by Karen Purcell several months ago,
but I think it would be a far better substitue than the alternative, which
would be simply to open up the fluids and let 'em rip.  This can help in
the short term to preserve volume and prevent shock, but eventually the
body realizes an oxygen debt because the red blood cells are lost in
hemorrhage in the surgery, as well as further dilution by the
administration of shock levels of fluids.  Oxyglobin is a fluid compound
which has the ability to carry oxygen in its non-cellular medium.  It is
used in emergency situation until a transfusion donor is available.

Finding a donor ferret usually isn't too hard - as we haven't established
blood groups in ferrets - ferrets are universal donors - any ferret can
donate to any other ferret - even multiple times.

I appreciate your aggressive stance on therapy, and I know Fang does as
well.  Yes, surgery is a better option for pancreatic tumors than pred and
proglycem, and when you mention the adrenal symptoms as well - it is really
the only alternative.  However, many people do not have access to a good
vet or the finances to have surgery done when needed.  I am hopeful that
your heartfelt post, though, will sway those with the available resources
to choose surgery over medical treatment, especially in young, otherwise
healthy animals.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM