From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 14:41:17 -0400
Ah, but ECE didn't STAY in your area, Bill, so you are missing a entire
larger grouping of shows and clubs.  Doesn't matter, though.  Those who are
interested will have gone into the back FMLs read them, selected the ones
that hit a cord with them personally (which may not be the same as those
which did that with you, or with me).  Folks will make up their own minds
and I see no reason to start any arguing over stuff that folks can look up
on their own.  There are better things to do on any list.  Hey, people do
have a right to their own opinions and some issues just are not clearly one
way or the other (though we can each have preferences) which is why both
sides need to be heard so that all can LISTEN and learn without getting
backs up or piloerecting, and then the best solution can be found because a
more balanced picture can be derived.  What John McCann said about the
Republican Party two days ago holds for people, too.  I found the comment
so true on multiple levels (including when individuals are substituted in
for parties) that I kept it: "Tolerance of dissent is the hallmark of a
mature party, and it is well past time for the Republican Party to grow
up." (I have found that fellow-Independents and friends whom I respect in
BOTH major parties applauded this, so figure it's safe to put up.  The
man has SENSE!)

(BTW, having corresponded with both you and Diane for years the letters on
this read more Bill-ish than Diane-ish which makes me think that you had
the keyboard for that topic, so say "Hi!" to her if you are reading this
first and she can do the same if she reads first.)

Erika wrote:
>Most organizations have their rivals.  Dog, cat, ferret, and horse clubs
>can all be very political.  That's not what this list is for.  So please
>do your bickering privately and stop trying to involve the rest of us.

Ah, I LIKE those WISE WORDS (and the ones in the rest of the letter)!  I
think that for a laugh the FML 15th reunion t-shirt should come with a
little package of "grains of salt" to show how so many posts must be
taken. :-)  (Permission to laugh is granted...)

Chad wrote:
>I'm considering moving to New Jersey and would appreciate any information
>regarding ferret policies in this state.  Plus, any additional information
>about the state.  I've never been there, but have a promising job
>opportunity.  Any current or past residents I would love to hear from you!!

NJ is VERY ferret friendly.  If you sell, breed, or shelter ferrets you
will need a special permit and will want to call Hedgehaven Farm at
1-908-735-5450 to discuss that, but otherwise the standard permit
will do (Non-game, permits, NJ FG&W, CN 400, Trenton 08625-0400,
tel. 1-609-984-0839.

Trying to recall back to when we wrote our check; think it's still $10
but it may be $15 now (or that may just have been discussed but not
implemented).  They want to know things how ferrets are housed, and who
vet is, but they are flexible because they know that these things can
change and that new folks don't have vets, yet.

You will be happy to know that the state FG&W has actually been willing to
go to court to help ferret owners with permits retain their ferrets when
municipalities have tried to make false claims about them.  (They never
had to in the case I knew of because the cases were always dropped when
this was learned.) They also helped shoot down a state legislator who
tried to introduce an anti-ferret bill, as did State Senator Walter
Kavanaugh who had a relative with one and adored the ferret.

Our Health Dept. has vets in charge of rabies policy who are very aware
of the Compendium, with one helping to write the regulations, and NJ went
to being ferret-friendly officially that way the day after the National
Association of State Public Health Vets voted in the Compendium change
even though the alteration would not be official till the following year.