From:
Dave withheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:26:21 -0800
Today SB 89 was heard in the California Senate Committee on Natural
Resources and Wildlife.  IMHO Fish and Game got smacked down.  They used
the same ol' tired antiquated arguments.  When they were stopped in their
tracks with the truth they went on to the next tired ol' argument.  I am
an avid hunter/archer/fisherman/envionmentalist.  Not the guy that
watches animal channel and donates to Greenpeace.  I actually do scale
counts on reptiles, report poachers and polluters and advocate to my
government that more resources be used to help find sound solutions to
environmental issues.  I was born in the woods and I plan on dieing
there.  That said I am pretty pissed off that the California Waterfowl
Association opposes SB89.  I know the membership would support SB89 if
they had any idea of the bills exsistence.  The CWA pisses away more
money in a year than groups like Pheasants Forever can raise.  The
performance the CWA gave during the hearing was a classic example of the
waste of membership dues.  It's clear they are only trying to buy access
to Fish and Game.

Another group, Defenders of Wildlife is in opposition to the bill.  If
you are a member I would implore you to contact Defenders of Wildlife and
make them aware that the history of America is the only Environmental
Impact Report nessesary.  The fact the ferrets have been legal in most
parts of the country (not to mention Continent)since colonial times is
proof ferrets don't pose a risk to native fauna.  Hopefully Defenders of
Wildlife will understand this isn't a battle they should be fighting.
Let them stick to saving Wolverines and reintroducing Fishers to
Tennesse, hands of my domestic house pet.

Biologist Ron Jurek of California Dept of Fish and Game made a bunch of
mistatements years ago about ferrets.  Not only does he present himself
as a biologist but also as an anthropologist and historian.  His
assertion that ferrets have not been domesticated for nearly as long as
claimed is ignorant and prideful.  There is no way this gentleman can go
back after all his statements and say, I was wrong, so what does he do?
He repeats them.  There wasn't a Senator on that committee that bought
his argument.  At one point Sen. Oller admonished the opposition for
knowing better.  It is plain Fish and Game is unwilling to move on this
issue I am no Fish and Game hater but it is plain to see this is a turf
war and DFG does not want to lose even when they know they are wrong.

I am more energized than ever to see this fight through.  I only hope
my perspective of Fish and Game as the "Good Guys" will return to me
someday.