From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:56:56 -0400
This topic is seasonal, isn't it?  Wasn't it last summer that we went
through the same thing?  I hope Jeff Johnston and TLEckart are reading this,
because they're certainly more qualified to respond to all of the
misconceptions and misinformation regarding ferrets and rabies.  I can
answer *some* things though:

From:    Richard James <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NJ Ferrets in trouble

>I would like to know if any studies have been done on how many ferrets have
>transmitted rabies to humans.

Not a single ferret has transmitted rabies to a human in the US since the
CDC began keeping records in 1955.  This doesn't mean it can't happen; it
just means there is no documentation of it ever happening in the US.  It
also means the odds of getting rabies from a ferret are very low indeed.  A
good argument to use is that the treatment itself is more risky than
non-treatment in the case of a domesticated ferret bite.

From:    "Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NJ Ferrets

>The biting incident took place on or about May 29th, meaning two things.
>First, if these animals were rabid, they would have been dead by now.

This argument seems to be true with rodent and skunk strains; bat, raccoon,
and other strains have yet to be tested.  Devil's advocate argument to be
sure, but one that may be used against you, so be prepared.

>Secondly, the series of shots one must receive following a bite to prevent
>rabies must be started within 7 days of the contact or bite.  It's too late
>to start now...

The incubation period of rabies in both humans and ferrets varies depending
on location of infected site, virulence of said infection, and the
particular victim.  A bite on the foot or hand affords the victim more time
to seek immunization than a bite on the head or face.  In a human the
incubation period can be much longer than a week.  Rabies travels along
afferent nerves and finally to the brain, causing the visible symptoms and
the ensuing fatal encephalitis.  At this point the host rarely survives the
disease even if treated (I believe 6 humans have survived the disease).  It
then travels back down efferent nerves to the salivary glands, among others,
and winds up in the saliva, where it can be transmitted to a new host
through a bite.  The time between infected saliva and death is called the
"shedding" period.  Ferrets *almost* always die before they can shed.  One
ferret in the Forster/Erlich study had positive post-mortem swabbings.  85
other ferrets intentionally infected did not.  I'm still waiting on that
derned KSU study; if anyone knows anything about it please email me.

>One thing which was suggested to me by someone who will remain anonymous
>was that it is hoped that the vet who destroyed the babies did not inject
>them with the virus in order to skew the path report.

If an unscrupulous DVM were to inject a ferret with live virus of skunk or
ferret origin it would take several days to manifest itself in the brain
tissue, or test positive, so it's unlikely that he would attempt to skew the
test in this manner.  Even if the vet wanted to, I doubt that the plaintiff
would want falsified test results.

I know this reads like an "Aint I the smartypants" post, but your chances of
winning over health authorities or even bite victims are much better if
you're informed.  The '94 CDC rabies surveillance release is in the Dec.
15, 1995 issue of JAVMA (Vol.  207, No.  12), and Jeff Johnston referred me
to a pretty good piece on rabies by Lawrence Corey, which doesn't get too
technical.  (Well, ok, it does, but it's still worth a read if you're
planning on battling public health departments or parents of bite victims.)

The reason this is so longwinded is that I don't think the ranting and
raving about "murder" and "slaughter" approach is going to work, even on
ferret owners.  A little bit of research goes a long way; you'll be
surprised how easy it is to become more knowledgable than the "authorities,"
and *that* knowledge can be a powerful tool.  If I've made errors, please
correct me; it's a good way to learn.

End of speech, party on,

swampp