From:
Pam Adey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:26:47 EDT
Darrein thank you for pointing out 1 & 2 excellent, excellent points.  I
had not thought about the desexing of young kits as being the reason for
the 8 week proposal.  Yes, in light of that, I now understand the reason
for waiting until week 8.  I agree that the later desexing is done, the
better.  I really think it should be done when the ferret has reached
full adulthood.  I also think that males would be more likely reach their
full potential size.  But in a way, I am glad and relieved that fixing is
done before the kits are sent to pet stores.  I mean, lets face it, how
many people would really be responsible enough to follow through with the
fixing.  They sure don't with dogs and cats.  We already know that people
in general are irresponsible about their unfixed pets.  Heck, as much as
I hate to admit it, I even have relatives who won't fix their pets (not
any are ferrets) but every time I press them to, it's always the same
answer, "Yes I know, but I just don't have time"; or "I don't have the
money right now." And then there is always the, "Well if she gets
pregnant before I get her fixed; it's OK to let her have one litter,
then I'll get her fixed"  This attitude is still common.

Look at the numbers that are still being euthanized because of too many
dogs and cats.  I would hate to see ferrets added to that number.
Indiscriminate breeding of unfixed ferrets would contribute to an over
population of ferrets.  The number of ferrets in the shelters would
double..  We know that ferret shelters do get ferrets in, who were bought
on impulse by people who didn't learn about them.  Then these people
discover they don't have the time to take care of them.  They certainly
are not going to bother fixing them.  That cost of spaying/nutering would
be an additional burden for the shelters to bear.  I would like to hear
from those of you who run a shelter?  Are you operating at full or near
full capacity?  Could you handle it, if your numbers were to double.
What is the percentage of unfixed ferrets that are surrendered now,
verses the ones that are fixed?  What are the top three reasons that
ferrets are surrendered?

OK now, I'm not happy to hear of the adrenal disease connection to fixing
at a young age.  But I am unclear.  Has the connection been confirmed at
all, to early desexing or to the amount of light/darkness exposure?  I
have to admit that I'm pretty stupid when it comes to disease.  All my
ferrets have been healthy.  (Knock on wood) So I tend to glaze over when
there are long dissertations about the different diseases out there.
There are so many!  I get confused on what disease is CAUSED by THIS;
as opposed to, what disease CAUSES THAT.  But, here would be the likely
result of unfixed ferrets sold in pet stores.  Many would not be fixed
in a timely manner, if at all.  Females left in prolonged heat will die
suddenly, and unfixed males stink so bad that they cannot be kept
indoors.  I'm sure some of you ferret owners, (upon mentioning you have
ferrets) have heard at least one version of the following:

"I knew someone who had a ferret once, but it stunk so bad they had to
get rid of it," or "Oh, you have a ferret!  I had a ferret too, and it
died for no reason!"  This is the same sad story of the unfixed ferret.
Pam