Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:29:01 EDT
The Monster

Go check out The Monster, said kids at the park.
Look in that store window.  Don't go after dark!

I drove to the pet shop and gagged at the sight.
The animal bubbling in heat and sunlight.

Raw purple with blisters and pus globbing out;
I wanted to jail him.  The landlord.  The lout.

So sweetly I paid for The Monster and cage.
The owner?  audacious.  Inside I bled rage.

On to the vets and the meds and the creams,
Hand feedings, surgery, group prayers and dreams.

The Old One abandoned in front of the store;
Stuffed in that window to suffer far more?

She now has a home and a life blessed with love:
A Walt Disney ending that dreams are made of.

More Monsters?  You bet ya.  So desperate for care.
Please visit your shelters and volunteer there.

Or bring home A Monster, abandoned and old.
To nurture.. and pray for.. and dream of.. and hold.

Lisette