From:
"Voorhees, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 10:53:21 -0400
I can say this as my one child is 23 and the other is 16.  No one can take
them away from me now.  In the current political environment I would
wonder.  This does relate to ferrets.  As at times the behavior of young
children seems to parallel that of ferrets.

There where times when my children's behavior was so over the top that
"time out" was not going to work.  It took very few (less than 4)
confrontations before my children learned that a certain tone of voice
indicated the line had been reached.  It was not the application of pain.
It was saying "This is enough.  Pay attention".  Depending what, when and
how there is a difference between corporal punishment and spanking or
thumping.

I am sure that under certain conditions there is some that must be done to
get a ferrets attention (as with children).  Depending on the animal this
may require a "thump".  I have been lucky enough not to have to do this to
my ferret.  I CAN see circumstances where it would be required.

Unfortunately things today degenerate into right and wrong or black and
white.  Much of life is made up of many shades of gray.  There is not
always the correct answer for everyone.  Sometimes there is.  Sometimes
there is not.

P.S.  For those of you horrified by the spanking.  My daughter is a 3rd
year medical student with honors.  My son is a badge away from Eagle Scout,
on the honor roll and wants to be a smoke jumper.  I am please how they
turned out.  I hope I do as well with my ferret.

Bruce and critter.