From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:34:00 -0800
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Has anyone ever ferret-proofed a motorhome/mini-home?

Yep - twice now.  I live in a 33ft '85 Southwind.

The first thing to *really* no-BS check *HARD* is under the dashboard, or
your fan belt is gonna be lubricated with fert-innards.  Second area of
lesser concern is the area around the rear fresh-water tank, which is
usually under a bed...the boards on top of the tank that the matress in turn
goes on are often on loose to allow access to the freshwater plumbing; if a
fert slips in there, god only knows where those crevices can lead.

Keep them out of the area under the kitchen sink, because that's usually
another major plumbing/wiring nexus.  Fasten the cover(s) for the
Propane-powered heater cover real well; ditto for the door to the "house
battery" array if it's internally accessable.  Ferts and sulpheric acid
don't mix well.

The bathtubs generally have ultra-low sides, like about 8inches or so -
the kids *will* visit you in the shower.

Last but not least, BE CAREFUL FLUSHING THE TOILET.  They are small and low,
so the typical ferret rapt attention to the flush is made worse by the
clearly visible 4inch hole leading down to the septic system!!!  Pick them
up, put them outside the bathroom and close the door before flushing!  No,
this hasn't happened to my guys...but if it ever does, the solution is to
*RUN* outside, disconnect the sewage pipe, open the drain and let up to 80
gallons of "blackwater" (that's the *polite* term) and your poor fert dump
on the ground.  You could *probably* do it before it drowns...

And if you get pulled over in an FFZ, do try to keep them out of sight of
the cop...