From:
Mary H Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:16:47 -0500
I've been reading all the posts about adrenal tumors, insulinomas,
lymphomas, etc. in ferrets, and more on various websites about these
diseases.  I've seen repeated mentions of the possibility that early
neutering is the cause, at least with regard to adrenal disease.  I've
also seen frequent mention of at least one large breeder that's
apparently been in business for quite some time (I won't mention the
name as I'm sure most will know who I'm referring to).  I have to wonder
this: is it just vaguely possible that repeated overbreeding/inbreeding
within the same stock of ferrets is leading to these dreadful illnesses?
Genetically speaking, inbreeding just strengthens the weaknesses in
animals which would seem to increase the chances that these conditions
could be perpetuated and worsened over time.  Do ferrets from other
parts of the world have the same incidence of cancers?  And could more
careful breeding (such as cross breeding from different stock) produce
a healthier, less disease-prone animal?  And am I correct that there are
no known ferrets living in the wild anymore?  For if there were wild
ferrets, I wonder if they have the same risk/occurence rate for cancers
as domestic ones do.  I would appreciate anyone responding, and
commenting on this.

And one more quick question.....what is the average age to which ferrets
usually live?  I've been told 6 is old for a ferret, yet mine is over 8
years old.....my vet says she is the second oldest ferret she's ever
seen.  Just curious......

Mary (with the fuzzball Wheezy watching from my shoulder)