From:
Carol-Anne Peace Schutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 16:49:36 -0600
Some people wonder what their ferrets think, or feel.  I don't have to,
because my ferrets communicate with me via morse code!  Yes!  I have noticed
that the pattern of licks they give their water bottle is in fact morse
code.  They tend to spell things phonetically, but hey, can't expect perfect
spelling from an animal that has never had much of an education.

I sit by their cages, pen and paper in hand, while they drink.  Their
tongues flip the little metal ball in their water bottle spout fast and
slow, and I jot down the patterns and then look them up in my book on morse
code.  It's amazing.  They tell me their opinion of the weather, their food,
how much fun they had during their last play session, even whether or not
they like the music that's playing.  Fleurette, the oldest (3 1/2 yrs)
invariably comments, regarding the music, "less noise".

It's so wonderful to be able to communicate with my ferrets!

        Carol-Anne