From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:49:29 -0400
There seems to have been enough discussion about "plastic" ferret gates
as to justify our adding useful information as experts, without having it
miscontrued as advertising.  We are the developers and manufacturers of the
Weezl Watchr ferret gates.  A little common sense would make clear that if
we could make these gates less expensively, it would be foolish not to do
it.  Cost could be lower, profits higher, sales greater and maybe we could
get rich instead of just being satisfied with a very small profit margin.
We developed the gates first for use in our shelter.  We spent close to two
years testing different types of plastics.  Since plastics are a petroleum
product, the cheaper the material, the quicker they dry out and break.
Some lasted longer than others and durability was always related to the
quality of the material.  When they did break, they suddenly shattered like
glass.  Very dangerous and not the type of product which can be sold to the
public.  We finally came upon polycarbonate.  Used for airplane windows and
meant to flex repeatedly without breaking.  No polycarbonate gate has ever
broken and we feel confident that it is a safe product to offer to ferret
owners who may kick, fall over or bend it repeatedly without having to
worry about breakage.  The material is very expensive and the gates cost
close to $10 apiece just to ship (this is included in the price).  They
also have to be labeled, have care and use instructions and be packed in a
custom sleve which is barely under the maximum for post office shipping.
UPS costs much more to ship.  The profits are very small but every cent
goes to the support of our shelter and provides enough capital to assure
that every ferret gets everything it nees--including surgery--when it
arrives at the shelter.  The gates are assembled by shelter volunteers.
When people ask about making their own gate we are pleased to advise on how
to do it safely.  Anyone can buy polycarbonate, but it is not sold at
do-it-yourself stores.  You can get it at a plastics specialty store and
generally there are several listed in the yellow pages under "Plastics".
By the time you buy the material retail, have it cut to size and adequately
pad the sharp top edge, you will find that our gates are about the same
price.  But they are prettier.  And they are guaranteed to work and to
last.  And they support a ten year old shelter with 50 ferrets.

Best Regards from Weezl Watchr