From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1993 03:49:38 -0500
>From:  Lynn-Anne Friese <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  Re: Ferret List Issue 411

Note to ferret-list readers - this is a response to e-mail sent to
me by Lynn-Anne continuing the discussion of her finicky ferret.
Since this is of general interest, I'm Cc'ing it to the list.

> Do you know anything about the Kaytee ferret food?  I've seen it in a

I just checked, I have the name wrong, you're right it is Kaytee...  :)
Kaytee is actually a very good ferret food, as far as they go.  Purina
Mini Friends Ferret Chow (plastic tub in pet stores) is O.K., but it
has a lot of corn in it, and has been known to cause prolapsed rectums
in kits, I've never heard of a spleen problem, but that certainly
doesn't mean there isn't one.  I don't claim to be anywhere near an
expert on the subject.

Purina Ferret Chow (the good stuff, not available in any stores that
I know of) is an excellent ferret chow.  The only problem is that you
have to have it trucked in in 50 pound bags, which isn't a very good
option for one family of 3 ferrets.

I've never heard anything about 8-in-1.  There is one kind that
comes in a plastic bag that is fish based, definately stay away
from it (I don't remember the name).  If that's not 8-in-1, it
probably wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

> > If all else fails, maybe you could try grinding up some of the grocery
> > store brand and sprinkling it on the pet store food.  Maybe just the
> > hint of that flavor will entice your little albino to eat it.

I was reading Fara Shimbo's "A Tao Full of Detours:  The Behavior of
the Domestic Ferret" last night and came across a few paragraphs that
are directly related to this.  Unfortunately, due to the wording of
the copyright I don't think I can quote directly.  Here's basically
what it says.  Polekits (wild Polecat babies) have a critical period
for learning the scent of prey, between 60 and 90 days old.  The will
not eat anything other than these prey except under extreme duress.
Therefore, they actually have to learn what to eat during that time,
it is not instinctive.  In ferrets, the critical time period is at
about 60 days.  She continues to explain that this is the reason that
many ferrets will eat only one kind of food and refuse all others.
Ferrets who are given a variety of food during their third month will
not be picky eaters, and will be open to new foods throughout their
lives.

So, it seems to me that the basic moral of this is that when you bring
home a new baby ferret, give them several different kinds of food
mixed together, at least for the first few months.

Another interesting idea arising from this is that maybe you should
look at the labels of the foods that she will eat and see if you
can find good foods with similar main ingredients.  (I.e., maybe
the main ingredient in the grocery store food is beef, and it's
chicken in the pet store brands you have tried.)

Also, since scent seems to be a primary issue (I've heard others
claim it is the shape of the food that is important), that seems
to indicate that grinding up the old food and sprinkling it on the
good food may actually work.

> Again, I tried this but she'd never want to eat it at the time I set it
> out.  Then I was afraid when I was gone or sleeping she'd be hungry
> and looking for it, only to find it wasn't there.

When she gets hungry enough, she'll eat.  Just start with a set
schedule, she'll adapt eventually.  (unless she has virtually no
survival instinct left)

I'm going to try to remember to ask around to shelter owners this
weekend at the AFA's Ferret Show in Frederick, MD.  I'm sure that most of
them will have encountered this before.  It should be interesting
to hear what they have to say.  (I imagine that they probably just
never notice it's a problem since there are so many ferrets, no single
one gets a lot of attention.  The ferrets finally get hungry enough to
eat, and get used to it, without any intervention.  I've never heard
of a shelter ferret starving itself to death.)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets