From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:02:44 -0800
Suki wrote:
>See page 166 of Fox's _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, second
>edition_.  Plant proteins in amounts too large raise urinary pH,
>which should be about 6 in a ferret due to them being obligate
>carnivores. (I can just see people running for pH strips now.)  Corn
>is ESPECIALLY bad for raising the pH so the original poster was not
>just making this up; the person probably has a copy of Fox's book and
>as a result knows that corn is a no-no for ferrets in amounts smaller
>than exist for some other sources of plant protein.  There's more
>than simply the nutrition accessibility aspect.

Thanks for the info....Would like to make comment on something that not
many people are aware of...Wheat and animals don't mix either.  In the dog
world, big time breeders have a tendency to shy away from any product using
wheat as the filler due to allergies.  I have met monkey owners that watch
the grain substances they feed their monkeys very closely for wheat or
wheat flours, due to the possibility of an allergic reaction.  Wheat is
a fairly common allergen.  It causes all kind of symptoms, from gastric
distress to pulmonary problems.

We also stress that sugar based snacks are bad for our little carnivore
friends.  Readers of the FML are always chastising other readers for
offering sugar laden snacks, no matter how small the amount.  But..in the
real world of wild carnivores, a berry bush with nice ripe fruit, or honey,
or any other natural sweet will NEVER be passed up by a carnivore.  So, is
Mother Nature wrong?

I have never heard of a reaction to wheat in a ferret, nor have I seen or
heard of any ph problems caused by corn in a ferret.  If it is written, it
has happened, but at what frequency?  In the world of companion pets, 1
incidence is too many.  But what do we feed if we eliminate corn or wheat?

Truth of the matter, depending on where we live, the simple act of
breathing is more hazardous to living things than corn or wheat!  I really
think we split fine hairs, debating corn vs.  wheat vs.  rice vs.  soy vs.
beet pulp, etc.  I would be happier if someone came up with a non vegetable
based filler to use in our ferret's food.  (My mouse a week doesn't look so
bad, maybe a mouse a day...........Hmmmmmmm!)

Gang...wheat, corn...it's a judgment call on your part.  You decide what
is best for your fuzzy.  That is the beauty of this list...putting the
information out there so we, the reader, can try and make educated
decisions.  It can be tough....

For our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Snorkle, and Tuzigoot.  In spirit, Bubba and Billy-Bob)