From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:53:17 -0400
The first time I read about the 2 ferrets in a cage I was upset to say the
least, but after your update I am now outraged.  Where do these people come
from?  Getting a ferret and learning as you go is one thing but getting a
ferret and not taking the time to learn their wants and NEEDS is another
thing and there is in my mind no excuse for it.  She (in my opinion) is a
horrible Grandmother and her 2 sons are worse parents.  Me, personally, I
would have 2 more additions to my family if I didn't think she would go out
and abuse 2 more babies.  Ferrets have certain needs: they cannot be out in
extreme heat because they will die from heat stroke; they cannot be out in
the cold (even though they have a better change of survival in the cold vs
heat) because they are proned to catching cold and if not treated will die.
This is why it is suggested not to let outside of family members handle
your baby(ies) because they have germs that can make your fuzzy ill.
Family members know to wash their hands with bacterial soap before
handling.  I have never seen a ferret eat wet food or drink stale water so
you have the malnutrition and dehydration issue.  Stress can also kill a
ferret and it sounds like the female is under a lot of stress.  My female
acted the same way when our puppy died and her playmate was gone.  She
would not eat, drink, or play and would stay in the same place all day and
looked very depressed.  The only cure for this is A LOT of SPECIAL
attention and medication from the vet to make her hungry.  I would look for
the following signs: stress, hair loss, panting, eyes not being bright and
wide open, not being active and playing, and food being wet or not being
touched.  I would try the following:
(1) try to explain to this Grandmother the needs of ferrets and explain to
her proper minimal living conditions;
(2) offer to buy the ferrets from her, money has a tendency to make people
think, ferrets are priceless but I don't think she realizes that;
(3) if all else fails I would report her for animal abuse and state to
Animal Control that you would like to adopt them, assuming that ferrets are
legal in your area.  You can follow their progress through Animal Control
and be first in line to give them what they have never had, a good home.
Be sure that they have never bitten anyone because if they are classified
as a "Bite Case" they are not eligible for adoption.  I hope this helps.
It brings tears to my eyes knowing that these precious babies are not
getting what they need.

Anna, Belle, & Tigger, [log in to unmask], Maryland