Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 20:14:11 -0700
I don't usually post but what I have to say about the litterbox is worth a
good read!!

Dunc and I had problems with our fuzzles and the litterbox (surprise,
surprise) and out of a combination and curiosity, I think we solved our
problem!!  It started with the desire to e able to call each ferret with a
different sound.  So, we ran out, bought bulk raisins and started training.
Each day I'd call Nihil and when the fuzzles came running, only nihil would
get a treat.  Half hour later, I'd make a different noise and when they both
came, Nemo would get is treat.  It ended up working great and soon both were
coming to their specific noise.  So then we were thinking about how tired we
were of picking up the boys messes when it dawned on us!  If they learned to
come to their calls for a treat, they'll learn to poop for a treat!!

We started very basic.  Any backwards motions earned them a one-way trip to
the litterpan.  If they did their buisness in it, they got a liver treat.
After about two weeks, Nihil would jump in the pan, do his thing, and then
come to me for his treat.  His brother is a little slower but we haven't
given up!!  The main point is that accidents are almost non-existant with
Nihil and fewer with Nemo.  You have to be very diligent, determined and
smart when doing this.  If you miss him poo in the litterbox, the
association goes away and you'll have to start all over.  Not only this, but
Nemo presently jumps in the pan, backs his rear into a corner and then
pretends to poo.  (nice try- since when did a poo last 1.2 seconds with no
funny face???;) ) We've been putting him back in, and if still no poo, then
no treat.  He gets pretty pi**ed off sometimes but he's learning.  Try it
and let me know how it works!!

Now, about the throat swelling.  .  .  About three weeks ago Nihil's throat
totally swelled up.  It looked similar to a hamster when they stuff their
cheeks!  After having multiple heart attacks, dunc and I raced him to the
vets and they ruled out Kidney failure, Tumors and heart disease.  It turned
out that it was an infection from a puncture wound!  We located his boo-boos
and discovered little teeth holes that looked remarkably like his little
brothers!!  Has this happened to anyone else???  Also, Nihil has porked
right up.  We haven't changed his diet, he only gets one raisen and liver
treats and still has regular bowel movements.  I don't want him to get fat
but the vet is not too sure as to why he'd suddenly pack on the extra
weight.  He's not fat, just 'buff'.  Any ideas on this also??

I'll stop babbling now!!  Loves and fuzzle snuggles to all!  Thx in advance
for your replies!!  Hope it helps!!

Karen, Duncan and the dirt-digging, liver scarfing, corner pooping, sock
stealing, rope chewing, ever cat terrorizing, dynamic duo Nihil and his
amazing scrawny sidekick Captain Nemo.