From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:21:46 -0800
Well, I called the news stations last night and got little more info.  It
was 82 ferrets that were stabbed, not 80, and one person I spoke with said
it happened a few days ago!  I recall now that the newscast mentioned that
some of the fuzzies showed evidence of repeated stabbings.  (I'm so sorry to
write this).  Also, I was told that the police have a "person of interest"
in the case.  Perhaps this was mentioned in the short clip... I was so
shocked I may have missed something.

I apologize for my human and media bashing last night, and garble about
species discrimination, but the jokes about the lost cows were enough to
upset me, then this story... How can some people find lost animals funny?  I
was at Southcenter one day and there, in the middle of a busy four-lane
street, stood a beautiful whooping crane.  I called 911 and the man, though
pleasantly pledging help, laughed!  I went back but the beautiful being was
gone, and I'll never know what happened to him - he was probably from a lake
nearby - but am forever left with the tragic image of his upraised head and
proud body held perfectly still amid the mindless, perilous flow.

*sigh*  It was really tough to say "Happy Thanksgiving" to my fuzzies this
morning.  Knowing about this horror.

To those I cc'd locally, I'm sorry to have been the bearer of bad news this
morning.  I'll call stations today and ask for more information and updates -
attempting calmness and sanity, and to complain (attempting discretion)
again about the jokes about the lost cows (I think it was channel 11 but was
out in the kitchen and not sure if the 11 pm news had started) and, more
importantly, to note the brevity of the horrible news about these dear
ferrets.  I don't generally mass post and have only once about a distemper
outbreak (and please let me know if it's not okay), but have written (or do
write) you all on occasion and, well, I had to tell someone who would
understand... and, to those with time, I suggest politely calling stations
and requesting updates and more information on this tragic story.  You can
get a person at a couple of the stations (they're closed today) by pressing
breaking news, which, in my opinion, this is.  Channel 4: (206) 443-4000;
Ch. 5: (206) 448-5555; Ch. 7: (206) 728-7777; Ch. 11: 253-572-4425.

Now I'm going to go take my fuzzies outside for a hard, sassy romp.  And
work on feeling thankful...

Lynn Mc.