From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1991 21:54:29 -0400
Hello all.  Fritter had her 6 1/2 year birthday today.  She is the only one
for whom we have exact dates of birth, neutering (though all 4 current ones are
"convenience") and first shots.  Wendy Winsted bred her back before she
sub-contracted (according to rumor).  If you have seen pictures of Winsted's
McGuinn, Frit is pretty much her double.  Winsted was not the only breeder
around here with convenience kits which have been in stores around here as long
ago as 10 years ago when we first started planning for one.  (Hjalmar is also
"convenience" and only a short way from his 6 1/2 mark working from his general
kit age when we got him way back then.)

The prednisone was causing bad muscular atrophy and cramps in Frit's legs so we
started a search for an alternative approach.  There was a report on one other
ferret who had been treated with Elspar (at cat doses) with good remission from
lymphosarcoma, so Frit began Elspar over the weekend.  So far there have been no
side effects and her glands and organs are of normal size already (pred also
became less effective).  Until we are sure of response she will get some
predisone so we have to counter the atrophy with massage, exercise, and range of
motion RPTS in warm bath water (which relieves her discomfort enough that she no
longer complains about getting wet).

Her antibiotics for the bacterial respitory infection caused her to get vaginal
yeast, but the old trick of vaginal packing with plain yogurt worked rapidly
(no, it is NOT easy to do).  She also had a bit of a bladder infection.  Guess
what?  Cranberry juice in a eye dropper worked well after her antibiotics killed
most of it.  Now a days anytime she has to have antibiotics she gets to eat
yogurt, too, to maintain proper intestinal flora and help with vaginal pH.  Runs
are handled when they occur with thick rice cooking water combined with
Nutrical; we know of several vets who use this trick now that Frit has shown how
well it works without causing stoppages in her.  Hope some of this helps other
ferrets. (Week 15 of Frit's cancer now)

Her behavior is still somewhat kit like, but juvenile behavior is a well known
sign of illness looked for in zoos (I'm an old primate hand.) and often seen
among seriously ill humans, too.  No, she is still refusing to tolerate the
other ferrets despite their long friendship.  The others strongly miss her,
except Ruffle who is too intellectually impaired to care.

Have not heard yet about Aleutian, but everyone jumped fast helping us find an
alternative for Frit.  Fastest was the man who runs UFO, who called immediately
after reading the letter.  BTW, I asked about his feelings on legalizing ferrets
in MA and he said that he is strongly for legalization but wants the law written
in such a way that veterinary care will be required and special permits would be
required for "whole" animals so that they will not be over-bred and abandoned
like cats and dogs.  Hope MA gets legalization soon; is everything tabled?

Sukie