From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2009 21:31:40 -0700
Years ago I also lost one of my first ferrets to electrocution in the
back of my oven. He'd gone missing and when I saw an open kitchen
cabinet I found out my landlord had removed the side wall of that
cabinet when he put in the new oven. Fearing Eddy had crawled behind
the range I pulled it out and saw black liquid on the floor. Fearing
it was blood from Eddy I called my father who took apart the oven and
indeed did find poor Eddy in the back of the oven. The black liquid
was the burned blood that came out of his mouth.

Kitchen and utility rooms have far too many hazards to allow your
ferrets access to them. Even if you think you've fully ferret proofed
it there could be something you've missed. And allowing ferrets into
your kitchen includes the risk of stepping on one when you're busy
cooking or spilling or dropping things on them. They could also pull
things out of cabinets that could fall on them.

Please do whatever you can to block access to these rooms. The house I
bought a couple years ago has the utility room, bathroom and kitchen
towards the back so I just keep a gate up between the kitchen and
dining room whenever the ferrets are out. They have plenty of room to
romp in the dining room, living room and two bedrooms.

Laura