Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:13:31 -0400
Well, first, and most obviously I'm sure you know to check with the
camping park if pets are allowed. You may even want to tell them you
have ferrets but that they will be caged or leashed and have had all of
their shots up to date. I think most places you don't have to mention
you have ferrets unless it's a closely patrolled and tight-butted
place.

It goes without saying to make sure your ferret is up to date on
shots and bring the papers or tags that prove they've had a rabies
immunization. That's just for your own protection just in case
something bizarre happens like some wierdo reaches for your baby and
the ferret licks them and they scream bloody murder. Distemper is the
most important shot to have though. Protect them with Revolution or
something for heartworm, fleas, etc.. Nowadays, it's only like 15 bucks
a pack for a dose that can protect a couple ferrets for one month. Far
cry from the 50 bucks it was ten years ago. Very safe too.

Bring leashes with iron clad halters. A play pen and/or a cage. And all
of your supplies such as food, water, dishes, bedding, toys. Unless you
sit right there with your babies, I'd not leave them in a play pen, ya
know? They can figure ways out to escape that they never have before
with all of the temptation around not to mention an open pen leaves
them vulnerable to people, loose dogs, and other animals. I'd not
leave them loose in your tent. Tents are just not made well enough to
withstand digging and chewing that a ferret can do.

For me, all of that is just rote and common sense. The hardest thing
to control and watch is the weather/temperature. Go at a time of year
where the temps do not get much about 80-85 degrees. And make sure you
have lots of shade where you will be staying. That can be difficult, I
mean most of the time of year that people like to go camping the temps
go up to 90 and above.

Boy other than that, have fun. We bring ours all of the time. We
usually do not have them stay over night with us, so we just bring
a pen, not a cage and always supervise them.

Oh don't forget your camera!