Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 13:04:00 EDT
Ferrets aren't supposed to have good eyesight.  However, we've got a few
that can discern very small visual differences.  Nothing gets by them.
Another of ours loves to look out the window.  Why, I don't know, but he
reacts to squirrels and other things at some distance.  So I have some
questions about just how poor their vision is.  I've got books that claim
they don't like to climb either.

Their night "vision" may be a matter of more rod cells than cones in the
retina, so day vision is not so hot but night vision is good.  Or their day
vision is so poor that the degrading from darkness means little.  I don't
know for sure, but they do get around very well in the dark.  It may be the
tactile guidance of the whiskers and other things is just as good.  Many
denizens of darkness have different ways to navigate other than vision.  One
of ours is blind (cataracts) and he gets around almost as well as the
sighted ones.

To answer the question - they may or may not "see" well at night, but they
can sure get around well in the dark.  There is more than one way to
skin.....oops!

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \
PS - Bill Killian's post about breeders gets to the heart of much of what I
alluded to in the ECE wars.  I share your concerns, Bill.   There are things
in the special issue that are along similar lines.