From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:08:51 -0700
I was dissapointed to see such disregard for the hard work of Modern Ferret
Magazine and the magnificent effort they put into their publication.

When I considered the superficiality of MFM's articles, it occurred to me
that superficiality is possibly the wrong word.  I think "light" is a better
word...after all, one of best functions of the magazine - in my opinion - is
to generate the idea that ferrets are a common household pet and so popular
that they warrant a magazine dedicated entirely to them.  The average
consumer that may not be all that familiar with the ferret will flip through
the magazine, breeze over the contents and perhaps absorb a few facts.  The
cute pictures, the light hearted articles, are exactly what is needed to
show a happier side of the ferret issue as a whole.

For the more veteran ferret owner, like myself, the magazine is like a
treat.  It's so rare that you see much of anything related to ferrets, much
less an entire publication, that I simply enjoy devouring it.  It's fun,
it's entertaining and I can show it to people who want to know "just how
popular ARE ferrets anyway?"

I think the thing that is most important to remember is that people who are
searching for cold hard ferret facts and serious information about ferrets
are, for the most part, not going to be looking at magazines as sources.
How To books, medical journals and things like Internet sources are more
likely considerations.  After all, I don't read Vogue to discover the
meaning of life...I read it for entertainment and the pictures.  If I want
some serious stuff, I'll go the philosophy section of the local library.

While I do respect the fact that people are entitled to their opinions,
however they may disagree with my own, I am dissapointed that members of the
ferret owning community would go out of their way to undermine Modern Ferret
Magazine.

Opinions like this are best kept to one's self, as they serve nothing other
than a fairly self righteous purpose. Such a post cannot, in my opinion, be
regarded as either helpful to other ferret owners, nor does it appear to be
anything other than blatantly hateful criticism.  From everything I've seen,
the people at Modern Ferret are going out of their way to produce something
enjoyable and also informative for ferrets and their people.  I can only
applaud their efforts and hope that my mum remembers to get my subscription
in in time for Christmas!!

Sheena and her big ole two cents worth, a gal who will one day get her act
together and get a good photo into the "Pink Noses" contest (Oh Lord, save
us from thy ferrets' egos!!)

PS I think EVERYBODY should send a Christmas card to BIG (my ferrets made me
say that)(but I'm paying the postage...go figure!)

Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >