From:
Jason & Alison Overstreet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 18:47:52 -0600
Hi all,
I've got a big favor to ask.  I recently decided to do something about the
situation here in Minnesota.  Ferts are legal on the St Paul side (where we
live) but not on the Minneapolis side.  I figure that if we can get
Minneapolis to change, the metro cities will follow suit and then it should
be easier to pass a state law allowing ferrets as pets with a quarantine
period.  I know, I'm pretty idealistic.  I don't expect to do it overnight.
But what I really need is information.  Could someone please email me where
to find:

1) Specific CDC information about what is being done in the 1998 compendium.
Actual quotes from it or verified names would help greatly.

2) Statistics on how many ferrets are out there (Twin Cities, Minnesota, US,
world stats).  I don't know the best way to find out.  I can call my local
pet stores and find out how many they sell, but I need to know if anyone has
any kind of census on ferrets or how to get one.

3) Proof of domestication.  I know that I've heard the domestic ferret has
been so for over 3000 years, what can I give to a person to prove this?
According to a manager at the Minneapolis Animal Control Shelter, the main
reason ferrets are illegal is that they are considered wild animals.

4) Any kind of statistics on infant/ferret interaction.  I have heard that
the only ferret-caused human death was an infant who was left on the floor
and neglected while the ferret maimed it trying to drag off its new 'toy'.
Solid details on this and any other case would be beneficial.  Another
hangup of Mpls is that they are afraid ferrets might be harmful to infants.
I know that they are much less dangerous than cats or dogs and no infant
should be left unsupervised with or without a pet, but I need facts!

I'm not asking for much, am I?  =) As I said, I don't expect to change
things overnight, but with your help, we could add another ferret friendly
state to the stack!  Any help is majorly appreciated!

Sincerely,
   Jas

Jason,Alison,Petey,Oliver, & Chloe
email: [log in to unmask]