From:
outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 09:28:42 -0700
Eden, I'm thrilled Lemke is doing better.  A few years ago when I lived in
Jacksonville, N.C.  I took in 2 rescues that were very sick.  This is when
ECE was called Green Slime Disease.  I was at a loss on how to save these 2
ferrets.  I found a book that had a number to (one of the 2 Pam's).  (Sorry
I can remember Pams'.) I called her and described what was going on with
these 2 guys (the vet that I had wasn't very experienced with ferrets), she
gave me the ducksoup recipe and some pointers, like separate the 2 guys
from my own, in which I had already done.  The next morning I called every
vet in a 40 mile radius of where I lived, for an experienced vet.  I found
Dr. Wright (no pun) in a small town from me.  He immediately gave both
sub-q's for the dehydration.  He gave me other meds to combat the ECE.  He
prescribed the very same appetite stimulant, Cyproheptadine.  It worked a
miracle on these two guys.  But the ECE was draining all my energy.  We
were nearing our 2nd wk of moving to another location.  By the time we got
to our destination (cross country) the guys were fine.  I thought the long
drive and different hotels each night would only increase the sickness.
But they took it like great champs.  I owe it all to Pam, Dr. Wright and
Cyproheptadine.  Oh, I can't leave out my husband, he was a real trooper
when it came to the numerous stops along the way to feed these guys
ducksoup 2-3 times a day, everyday to our destination.  The guys were fed
more than 2-3 times in a 24 hour day.  There have been no side effects or
repercussions or fatalities to date.  They were on it until they started
eating solid kibble.  Approximately 6 months.  The dosage was in 4 mg
tablets, I put the tablets in a bottle with an eyedropper he provided me
with.  I diluted 2 tablets with 20 cc's of pedialyte and gave them 2 full
eyedroppers 3 times a day.  This is a wonderful medicine for ferrets that
won't eat.

(for anyone in Jacksonville, N.C., Dr. Wright is located east on
Gumbranch Rd.)