Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:44:23 -0400
I found an interesting reference to ferrets in one of my favourite herb
books.  The book is Mrs. Grieve's "Modern Herbal", written in 1931.

The quotation (in the listing for peppermint) reads: "Rats dislike
Peppermint, a fact that is made use of by ratcatchers, who, when clearing
a building of rats, will block up most of their holes with rags soaked in
oil of Peppermint and drive them by ferrets through the remaining holes
into bags.  "

You can read the reference online at:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/m/mints-39.html#pep
The URL for the book is http://www.botanical.com