From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:49:34 -0400
INDEED The shelter intakes at Ferret Wise have CEASED- this means we no
longer take in unwanted ferrets from families who have tired of them.
We do however give them all the information they need to rehome them on
thier own.  Or , when that is not successful contacts to loacvl humane
organizations that will accept in ferrets.  Over the years we have been
lucky enough to see the number of SPCA's and humane shelters increase
that will accept in and place ferrets.  NOt all areas are as fortunate.

There is a multi faceted reason for the change in venue at Ferretwise- I
will attempt to explain for the entie board.

We are :
1- out of room!  The number of behaviorally challenged, abuse cases and
medically needy animals has filled to overfilled our cage space.  So much
that we have hospice ferrets in 3 outside locations.  In the largest
hospice center away from the shelter 14 ferrets reside in addition to
personal ferrets of the household.  The number there is 29.  This is
the loving St Gregory's house where the pet cemetery holds Bear & Rocky
FerretWise, Pasteur of the Egg City Harbor NJ rescue and many many more.
It is hospice Mom Judy who suffered an incapacitating stroke 8 months
ago-- and though she is better- she has not fully recovered and will
shortly be having surgery.  At that same locatiuon her husband was
recently diagnosed with systemic advanced myastinya gravis.  A
devastating disease.  He undergoes regular treatments of plasma foresis
(sp?)... and will soon be taking an immuno suppressive drug.  As anyone
who is familiar with cancer treatment knows..  on immuno suppressive
drugs and living in a building full of animals could be devastating.

These circumstances make us realize on any given day we may need to move
the 29 ferrets at St Gregory's House into the facility at Ferret Wise.
It is already full- we cannot possibly take any new faces in when the
responsibility for so many others before is evident.  Judy lives for her
ferrets- and does not WANT them to move.  We understand that -- but we
also must be prepared IN CARE it is necessary.

2 - In addition, Ferret Wise until a few years ago supported itself 85%
on sewn bedding items it made & marketed.  There have been so many new
unoffical rescues which adopted our method of fund raising we find
ourselves only supporting about 25% or our huge annual budget which
exceeds $20,000.00 annually to feed, litter, provide sanitation services,
vet care, mailings , newsletters, etc.  When we lose money travelling to
shows to vend our wares and when ebay fees exceed the profits-- it is
time to realign and figure out what we can do to continue the care that
is needed.

I could go on and on about my personal feelings of unofficial rescuers
competing with licensed shelter operations which struggle each day to
meet obligations of licensing, tax applications & filings etc.  But that
is neither here nor there.  The recent post on list did force me to
reveal the recent results of the board - mainly that we are spreading
ourselves so thin at Ferret Wise in the current balance to provide
hospice, rehab, education etc That something had to change.  The shelter
intake was what needed to change immediately.

It is the INTENT that Ferret Wise WILL continue.  Many of our hospice
kids are only 4 years old... they have a ways to go even with medical
conditions before their time is up.  We need to survive and we know it
WON'T necessarily be an easy road.

THE MISSION MUST CHANGE slightly.  The GREATEST NEED is in EDUCATION.
The education may indeed save ferrets from ever needing a shelter
facility-- and all of us familiar with US shelters know they are
overburdened.  It is necessary at this juncture to take a different path-
so that we MAY continue to help ferrets through legislative efforts,
through humane education, through cruelty protection, consultations with
humane investigators, and through general education efforts.  There we
can help thousands of ferrets where annually we can help only 80 - 90
per year.

Please consider continued support of Ferret Wise as we gear into
continued hospice care and expanded education services for ferrets
everywhere.  It won't be an easy change- and it will not happen
overnight-- the Spring rains before we see the flowers blossom and we
look to this growth period as a positive one rather than a sad ending.

Our kids continue to thank you- as do the folks at Ferret Wise

Please join us Sept 11the for Ferretstock V as we enjoy the ferrets and
earn funds for continued programs!

alicia
www.ferretwise.org