Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:57:26 -0500
Hi, Heather!  I think it's great that you want to help out fuzzies!  My
thought about raising money for ferrets from home is that if you have any
hobbies, you might be able to produce items that you could either 1) give
to the shelters, 2) sell to the shelters at cost, for them to resell for a
profit, or 3) sell yourself, and give the profit to the shelters.

My hobby is making homemade toiletries .. especially soap.  I've been
making ferret soaps now for quite awhile (using the same type of cookie
cutters that Andrea uses as a mold for her beautiful chocolate ferrrets).
I've sold some directly on the FML to raise money for SOS (the Support Our
Shelters fund), and lately I've been making a LOT of them which I've sold
to the shelters at cost so that they can resell them to raise money for
their shelters.  If I get some time and excess capacity in the future, I
might sell some more on the FML to raise money for SOS again.

If you can sew, you could make hammocks or snuggle bags or carriers for
ferrets - or even small cloth balls and toys for ferrets to play with and
sell/donate those.  There are probably a lot of other hobbies that would
lend themselves to this type of fundraising, too  - woodworking, candy
making, stained glass, clay and other pottery, painting, knitting, crochet,
etc.  Hope this helps!

Also, just wanted to remind everyone that Jean Carley (and Anne Ryan, and
Theo and Paddington Bear ferrets) will be on the Judge Mills Lane show this
Thursday (the 11th).  In the New York City metro region, the show airs at
noon, on WPIX (Channel 11).  Air times in other areas will vary .. although
I was assured that it will be on the same date everywhere in the country.
Please tune in - especially if you would like to write to the show to
complain about their handling of Jean's case afterwards.

Finally - my ferrets have clothing, too!  Their new wardrobe consists of a
bunch of clothing we bought when it went on clearance sale at Petco -
matching red sweaters, a biker jacket (with chain), and a bomber jacket
(with fleece lining).  They hate the whole lot of it, and wriggle out of it
as quickly as they can.  The only animal in my house that wears it without
protest is the stuffed ferret.  ;->

- Ela