From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 06:44:25 -0500
To Randy McCaskill:
I had this same problem w/one of my non-descented ferrets.  His butt
would smell all the time like he had blown a bomb when there was no
reason to.  It turns out he was sick.

My vet told me that when animals don't feel well, they tend to stop
grooming themselves, hence, the "anal gland" odor becomes quite noticeable.
I think maybe a trip to the vet is in order here since you indicated
previously GI problems before - if the ferret still has loose stool,
the infection may still be present.

This is another good reason NOT to have your ferrets descented - in my
opinion, this can be a really good indicator when something is wrong
even if there are no other symptoms.

Good luck.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA